Studying in Canada
PLANNING FOR SUCCESS
Assisting vs Hygiene vs Office Admin
- Many ITDs ask this question but for different reasons but most common are:
- To get entry into Canada through student visa
- To plan their study, work and exam process while on student status
- To plan their study, work and exam process after acquiring PR
- To study while you write exams (might not actually ever work in your field of study)
- The first thing to remember is the time factor - each plan will take it's time. If you first study, then work and then prepare and write exams, you cannot expect to start before 2 years (which is too late).
- If you plan to study and work, and then approach exams, it will also take time.
The ideal scenario is to start preparation early and try to go through it without any other concurrent commitment like study / work, if you can afford.
- The second scenario is to study a course and prepare for exams in parallel, without working. The ideal courses for this approach are office admin or assisting since they are light courses and can allow you to study for equivalency while you're in school. Hygiene does not suit this plan a lot for two reasons: (a) it's a longer course & (b) it is very heavy / hectic. OSAP can help provide some financial cusion.
- The third scenario is when you're studying an need to work as well as prepare for AFK. In this case you will need to slow down and pace your prep accordingly. It's not an ideal scenario.
- The fourth scenario is working and equivalency preparations. This is subjective. Look for a light duty job like security that can allow you study time because this is a full time commitment.
- There are many other variables depending on your personal and professional circumstances including residential status but the bottom line is "where there is a will, there is a way".
- Remember, failure is not the opposite of success, it's a part of it.
Denturism Diploma (DD)
NAIT - (AB)
GBC - (ON)
Georgian - (ON)
Dental Hygiene Diploma
La Cité, Ottawa2
Canadore, College Drive
Confederation, Thunder Bay
St. Clair, SOUTH CAMPUS
Canadian National Institute of Health Inc.
Oxford College of Arts, Business and Technology
Southern Ontario Dental College
The Canadian Academy
of Dental Health & Community Sciences
Toronto College of Dental Hygiene & Auxiliaries Inc.
BSc Degree (UofMan)